Saturday, March 9, 2019

Chapter 13 - Life Throws Monkey Wrenches

The Mushroom Cloud Chronicles (Reboot)
A JAG-Sims3 Story

Author: Haruo Chikamori
Rating: M
Classification: Angst, Romance.
Spoilers: N/A

Summary: Continuity of Government (COG) – a stark term for starting over after a holocaust the likes of which is hoped will never ever happen. This is a what-could-happen if the button was ever pressed.

DISCLAIMER: The characters Harm Rabb, Jr., Sarah "Mac" Mackenzie, Meg Austin, AJ Chegwidden, et al. belong (in concept if not name) to CBS/Bellisarius. Animal and all OC characters are the property of Heather and Hugo Chikamori. No profit is being made from this story, nor is any infringement intended.

------------------------------------------------
Chapter 13 - Life Throws Monkey Wrenches
------------------------------------------------

Admiral Jim Pointer was also present since the whole contingent of senior officers had descended on the bunker and thus he was the next to speak after the bunker commanding officer. "There's nothing more that I can add to what Vice Admiral Nakamura has stated. As the ranking officer in charge of the bunker, he has command authority over the entire facility. Even though I am one rank higher, I still technically answer to his authority. So in this facility his word is that of God meaning he is to be obeyed. Am I clear?"

The answer was a resounding "OOHRAH!!!" The time-honored bark of assent of Marines.

Admiral Pointer continued. "I can be like a priest to you if you have problems with high-command, an intercessionary. I can be your sounding board to take up any concerns with them, however, I cannot and will not intercede with a morally lawful order given. As Marines, every one of you will follow orders, no matter whether you like them or not, that does not contravene moral ethics during a time of war. And let me make it clear, ladies and gentlemen, we are at WAR!"

"I served with the man in the Persian Gulf on patrols over Iraq during Desert Storm and Gulf War 2. I was his battle-group commander when he received the Medal of Honor for actions in Korea; in fact, I was the one who recommended him for the blue button. I can tell you this: there is no other person whom I'd follow through the gates of Hell and trust in him to bring us through unscathed. You all are fortunate to have him as a leader in this time." The men looked over at Admiral Pointer as he spoke and their eyes widened as they saw the blue button on Pointer's rack as well.

These were well-decorated men of war; though the last thing that they ever wanted to do was to pick up arms in anger. They still knew their occupation well. Just like a certain Marine Corps major general in command of 1st Marine Division and later promoted to four star general and Commandant once said to the Iraqi leadership during the invasion of Iraq. "I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you mess with me, I’ll eliminate you with due prejudice." The two in front of them were more than capable of doing so to any enemy that chose to stick their heads up out of the sand.

"Your squad leaders and your bunker leadership are your family...believe in them, trust them with your life...and they will not steer you wrong. They have the experience of years in uniform." Admiral Pointer indicated with a nod of the head to Erin Kennedy and Master Gunnery Sergeant Stacker.

At this, Master Guns Stacker growled in his sandpaper voice, "Anybody calls me Grandpa ain't gonna live long enough to regret it..."

As ranking Marine Colonel, Mac barked out, "Squads, make ready to stand inspection. ATTENTION!!!"

Colonel Sarah "Mac" Mackenzie and Vice Admiral Toshio Nakamura did the honors, going around and inspecting each and every Marine recruit personally. When Tosh got to Thornton Wolff, he looked him up and down with an expression as if he'd stepped in a dog-turd, "What do you call those? Maggot."

"Sir, they're side-burns..." Wolff said.

"I know what they are, maggot, and I don't want to see them in my building. Get rid of them as well as that unruly mop that you call your hair. You see Cadet Keaton? I want to see a high and tight on top of that neck by 0600 hrs tomorrow morning. AM I CLEAR!!!?" barked the vice-admiral as he looked over at Cadet Keaton and then back at Wolff.

When he got to Cadet Stiles Morris, the admiral looked as though he was about to go nuclear. "Make a note. Tell the commissary that there's going to be a run on razors. Cadet Morris, Get that miserable caterpillar off your face, you look like you have a nasty case of mange." after snapping at Morris, the vice-admiral looked over at Hank Goddard. "Goddard, did the Sunset Valley Police Academy not teach you how to get a proper haircut - it looks like a rat's nest? High and Tight... Mr. Goddard, Get one before fall-in 0600. Oh...and lose the earring!"

"Well, well, well...what do we have here. You think you're still a greaser from the fifties?" Vice-Admiral Nakamura growled as he aimed a Paveway tracking laser directly at the point right between Jared Frio's eyes. "I bet you listen to Elvis Presley and Rick Nelson every night before you go to sleep. You break into doowop in my formation and I'm going to have Master Guns make you do pushups till you dry-heave. Just so you know, Mr. Frio, the King is dead. Get rid of those side-burns and get a high and tight by next morning. Read me loud and clear?"

Cadet Frio didn't look like he liked the idea of losing his hair, "Don't like that you're going to be air-conditioned up top, Mr. Frio? The loss of hair might give your lonely braincell the air it needs to breathe" The vice-admiral glared at Jared, "Well let me enlighten you on something, Mr. Frio, you are now a United States Marine. The bombs have fallen and you're out of luck. You follow orders and if you don't you'll be spending time picking your nose in the brig. Do you follow or do I have to make it even more clear for you?"

"Just give me an excuse to ride your six, Mr. Frio," Mac snapped, "I suggest you get your brain housing group, your nuts and your wang in formation and follow orders, or I'll be more than happy to shove your rear end in a 185mm howitzer and fire your sorry carcass over Sunset Valley into what remains of the hangar at Gnome AFB, are you reading me loud and clear?"

Jared, enlightened by the one hundred and sixty decibel brow-beating he took from both the vice-admiral and the Marine Colonel and decided that discretion was the better part of valor, barely able to squeak out a "Sir, Yes, Sir, Ma'am, Yes, Ma'am!"

With one last snort of disgust, the vice-admiral turned to Colonel Mackenzie and growled...

"If he's not in a high and tight with these scrawny caterpillars that he calls sideburns vanished, he can lick the windows in his cell in the brig for all I care. And draw him up for an Article 92. I'd suggest you read out to him the punishment allowed under Article 92, Dereliction of Duty (Failure to Follow Orders) in a time of war."

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a war story with mature themes and some sex and violence involved in the story. If you shy away from those themes, then this is not the story for you. Please comment accordingly.